Request disembursement

Applying for the electronic purse to be paid out in the event of the loss of the card or a defect

This request may only be used in the case of a defective card or a lost card. If you wish to have the credit remaining on a readable card paid out, this can only be done at a till in one of the cafeterias.

If – in cases of exception – you do not have a bank account, please contact Mr. Martin Droppelmann directly (

Fields marked with * are mandatory fields

Card holder
Your bank details for transferring your remaining credit
Information about your CampusCard/UniCard