Our student housing complexes

Where can I find out more about student housing complexes?

Try the student residence overview or phone +49 541 33107-30.

How much does a room, apartment or flat cost?

The student residence overview contains information about the rent for each property.

Is an internet connection available?

Yes. The costs are already included in the rent or you use a private connection together with your flatmates and share the costs.

Which utilities are included in the rent?

Most rents include all ancillary costs, including the costs for heating, water and electricity as well as an internet flat rate. Find out more details for each property in the student residence overview.


Where can I apply for accommodation?

Please apply online. This is possible even before you have received your matriculation certificate. If you have already received your matriculation certificate (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung), load it up when applying. Next remember to transfer the application fee. After we have received the fee, you will be placed on a waiting list automatically.

When can I apply for a place?

Any time! You can apply already as soon as you have decided to study in Osnabrück, Vechta or Lingen. Get in touch with us soonest after having received an acceptance for a study place.

There’s only a limited number of rooms available and a good starting position on the waiting list is helpful.

What are the waiting times?

We cannot answer this question. Demand varies considerably depending on the housing complex. However, we’ll offer you a tenancy agreement as soon as the room of your choice becomes available.

Demand for single flats is generally higher than the demand for single rooms, so you should expect a longer waiting time here. Double flats are rented preferably to couples or families.


  • Do not apply for one housing complex only. It’s better to indicate two alternatives.
  • Demand is greatest at the start of the winter semester.
  • Applications for larger residences are more likely to be successful.
  • Our emails tend to be delivered in the SPAM folder sometimes. To avoid this you should set the domain of the Studentenwerk Osnabrück (@studentenwerk-osnabrueck.de and @sw-os.de) as a trusted or safe sender in your email settings even before sending the application.

Can I change my application once I’ve submitted it?

Yes. You can bring forward or postpone the requested moving-in date and you can also change your option for another housing complex.

How long will I remain on the waiting list?

You’ll remain on the waiting list for one month from your requested moving-in date. If you’re still interested in a later offer, please remember to call or email once every four weeks.

If you do not contact us, we will assume that your application request is no longer current and will take it off the waiting list.

Why should I decide for three housing complexes?

This shortens the waiting time. As your first choice, tell us the residential complex you would prefer to move into. If we cannot offer you anything there, your alternative wishes will be checked automatically.

The following applies:  If you choose a larger housing complex and indicate two alternative options, the more chances you have of getting accommodation.

I’m looking for a room for the start of the winter semester. When should I apply?

The sooner – the better: As soon as you have decided that you want to study in Osnabrück, Vechta or Lingen!
If possible, apply already for a room to August 1st! This will greatly increase your chances of getting one. Demand for September 1st as well as October 1st is overwhelming!

Tenancy agreement

When can I move in?

You have received all information about moving in by e-mail together with the tenancy agreement countersigned by us. Among other things, it states that you have to arrange a move-in date with the caretaker in charge well in advance. His contact details are also to be found in this information. Generally, it is not possible to move in before the start of the contract.

Is it possible to move in at the weekend or on a holiday?

The keys can only be handed over during the caretaker's working hours (see move-in information sent to you earlier). After handing over the keys, you are free to move in whenever you like to.

I’m going abroad for one semester. Can my room be rented to someone else for this period?

Yes. Terminate your tenancy agreement and nominate an interim tenant (who must be enrolled as a student). We will conclude a fixed-term tenancy agreement with this person what is limited to your period of absence and you will receive a follow-up tenancy agreement.

What do I have to consider in the case of a so-called interim tenancy?

Prepare a list of the property left behind with description / photos, have it signed by the interim tenant and hand over a copy to him/her.
The Studentenwerk accepts no liability for any damage incurred.

Can I pass my key straight to my interim tenant?

No! Moving in and out even in the case of an interim tenancy must be handled by the caretaker. Make appointments in good time!

How can I terminate my tenancy agreement?

In any case, the notice of termination must be received by the Studentenwerk in writing with your signature. You have the following options:

  • Use our online termination form and send it to us by mail or email.
  • Send a short, informal notice of termination by mail or email to us. Please do not forget to state a cancellation date!

A termination of your rental contract is possible with effect from  February 28st or August  31st each year and must be received by us at least three months in advance. See also § III, section 5 of the “General Terms of Tenancy”.

  • It’s also possible to terminate your tenancy agreement prematurely at the end of each month:
    • with a notice periode of at least four weeks prior to the date you wish to move out
    • an administration fee amouting to €50 is charged to you in this case.
    • You take the risk of having to continue paying the rent if a new tenant cannot be found, (max. until the next termination date in due time, e.g. Feb. 28th or Aug. 31st.).

ATTENTION: Limited Tenancies cannot be terminated prematurely - contact us if you have any questions about this.

What do I have to consider if I have given notice and want to move out?

You will recieve information about moving out together with our confirmation of termination by e-mail. When moving out, it is very important that you arrange an appointment with your caretaker as early as possible (contact details see confirmation of termination).


How can I find private accommodation?

Osnabrück Student Services also provides information about options on the open housing market and names contact points for finding a room. Further information, on the page Private Accommodation.

Where can I stay temporarily?

You can also find information on youth hostels, hostels or hotels on the page Private Accommodation.

Am I qualified for “welcome money” in Osnabrück, Lingen or Vechta?

Those moving to Osnabrück do not get any welcome money.

Students enrolled at the university and registered in Vechta are given €100. Contact Vechta Family Office.

Students in Lingen receive €150. For more information, please contact the City of Lingen.

Can I bring my dog with me?

No, keeping pets is not permitted in our residential complexes.

What is not available in our residential complexes?

Among others you cannot expect to find toaster, microwave, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, air conditioning.

I have rented a furnished room. What does that mean?

In your room you will find a bed with mattress, desk, chair, wardrobe and bookshelf. You will need to bring your own duvet, pillow, bed linen, towels, toiletries, etc., as well as crockery, cutlery, a pot, a pan.

Any questions?

Has your question remained unanswered? We will be happy to help you personally: